I know we are all our own worst critic, no idea who said that. We all have our strengths and weaknesses and I always worry about the things that I am not good at and how it will affect my writing. I’m sure every writer does.
Novel Writing Problems:
- Thinking of characters names, they are often called ‘friend’ or ‘name’ until I can think of one.
- Thinking of place names- I had a lovely place name then I realised it didn’t mean (in Welsh) what I thought so now I don’t. I could spend ages looking for names but that’s time better spent writing
- I have no idea where the places are in my story, ok yes, I know where they are, in this village but I can’t draw a map and this is something I definitely need to fix so it doesn’t end up being a huge error in the book- but I’m still discovering my world so that might be something I could put off until the edit
- I am so disorganised! I am not a planner and I don’t write in order. I keep everything in a file on my laptop and an actual file.
- I don’t write in order! This is a problem because I’m sure I’ll miss something important or end up with reams and reams of notes trying to remind me of something
- I worry too much!
- Although I am inspired by pictures I find it hard to picture my characters in my head completely. I have pictures on a pinterest board (no, it’s secret) that represent them. I have basic description just nothing specific like shape of face/nose. This is either not important or something I can work on later
So some of these problems are things I need not worry about (worry about worrying) until the edit. But I can’t help but feel that I really need to get a handle on these things, or find solutions. But when you are stuck for time you really want to be moving the story on and not spending hours deciding on a name (because I can’t make decisions either)
I started keeping a chart with details of my minor characters, but I forget to update it! When you’re in the zone/writing flow you are too scared to stop unless the words stop.
Short story problems:
- Having an idea and a start but no ending or middle.
- Having too many ideas for one story
- Getting stuck in the editing stage and not knowing when to stop
My actual problem:
- Trying to write a novel and finish short stories to send out to magazines/competitions (giving myself too much to do)
- Worrying too much and being negative (sorry!)
- My brain doesn’t work sometimes
- Stop worrying
- How do you know when to stop editing?
- Find more solutions
Share your thoughts, don’t be shy.